I witnessed totality. The total eclipse of the sun. And for a moment I was obliterated.
Everything fell away—my car, my house, my job, my friends and family, my self. In the face of that black “hole” in my universe, I was no better than my ancestors 200,000 years ago. I stood slack jaw, grasping at. . . something. . . anything.
I had a similar experience when I watched the births of my daughter and son. And to a lesser extent when I find myself lost in the pattern of an owl’s feather, in the light and shadow moving over a female figure, or the dance of a bee on flowers.
At those moments I know that there is something beneath it all. I honestly don’t know if it’s a divine spirit or a symphonic mathematics. Whatever it is, my art takes aim at it. My arrows are mythology, the feminine, science, and nature. Like my ancient ancestors, I am back on the hunt.
Sam Pisciotta lives and works in Colorado. He writes and draws, and sometimes paints. His mediums of choice include graphite, charcoal, pastel, and watercolor. See more of his work! Follow him on Instagram and Facebook.
Current and Past Shows
- Sangre de Cristo Art Center,
Holiday Art Show
- Cottonwood Center for the Arts,
Beatrix Potter Inspired show
Dec – Jan 2019
- Modbo/SPQR Galleries
Small Works Show
Dec 1 – Jan 5th 2019
- The Traveling Art Show
CAEA Group Show: 2019
Longmont again July
- Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Exhibition: Professional Division–juried 2018
- Magnificent Small Works
CAEA Group Show 2018
Bridge Gallery-Colorado Springs, CO May, 2017
Bailey, CO June, 2017
Denver School of the Arts-Denver CO September, 2017
Sterling, CO February, 2018
- Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Exhibition: Professional Division–juried 2016, 2015, 2014
- The Daily Grind — solo show December 2015
- The Warehouse Gallery, Colorado Springs, CO 2013-2015
- Pueblo Community College Gallery 2013 w/ 38 Degrees
- The Business of Art Center Manitou Springs, CO w/ 38 Degree Retrospective 2011
- Own Your Own Art Show (December 2010) Sangre de Cristo Arts Center
- The Loft (November 2009) Pueblo, CO : Shadow Dance—Masks
- The Marriot at the Pueblo Convention Center (Ongoing) Pueblo, CO : corporate lobby display
- Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Show (August 2009) Colorado State Fair : juried. Received 2nd Place in the professional 2D division.
- The Loft (July 2009) Pueblo, CO : 38 Degree Latitude show.
- Wireworks (July 2009) Pueblo, CO : 38 Degree Latitude show.
- Colorado State Fair Fine Arts Show (August 2008) Colorado State Fair: juried.
- Sangre de Cristo Arts Center (February 2008) Pueblo, CO : Human | Nature | Art: Environmental Art. Solo show in the Board Gallery.
- V Bar (December/January 2007) Colorado Springs , CO : Exhibition with one other artist.
- Park East Restaurant (November 24 – December 9, 2006) Pueblo , CO : Four-artist show.
- Phantom Canyon Brewery (August – November 2006) Colorado Springs , CO : solo show
- Shoot the Moon (June 2006) Sangre de Cristo Fine Arts Center— Pueblo , CO : juried